Crossroads Farm – Nassau Land Trust
Farm Associate (two Full-Time, one Part-Time)
About Crossroads Farm
We are a non-profit NOFA certified organic farm which employs biodynamic principles located in Malverne, New York. The property was purchased by Nassau County on the Open Space referendum and is managed by Nassau Land Trust, a private, non-profit organization.
The 5.5 acre farm property is located on the south shore of Nassau County, Long Island. 2.5 acres is currently farmed. The farm is volunteer-based with an active education program. There is a year round retail market, a CSA coupon program and a weekly farmers market
We are looking for a motivated, energetic individual to join our team for the 2021 growing season. You should have prior agriculture experience and interest in organic and sustainable farming. We grow a wide variety of vegetables, fruits and flowers.
The farm is open to the public, we run education programs, events and through retail and engagement we strive to cultivate those relationships. The seasonal employee reports to the Operations Manager or Education Director.
Two Full-Time and one Part-Time Farm Associate position available
Responsibilities (including, but not limited to):
● Field & Greenhouse Operations – Greenhouse propagation, field bed prep, composting, direct seeding, transplanting, trellising, weeding, irrigation
●Harvesting produce and flowers, processing for retail including flower arranging
● Use of basic farm machinery and tools
● Assist with farm stand operations to include set up, customer interaction, sales and support
●Assist with events and special projects to support farm operations
● Ability to manage trainees and lead volunteer groups
● Visitor engagement – You will learn our history, mission and be able to communicate that effectively
● Ability to lift at least 50 pounds
● Ability and willingness to work outside in adverse weather conditions and stand on one’s feet for extended periods. Ability to work effectively and efficiently up to 50-60 hours a week during the height of the summer growing season with a decreasing workload in the shoulder season
● Driver’s license and reliable transportation to the farm
Required Skills & Experience
● Fundamental agriculture skills and at least one (1) full season working in a diversified vegetable operation (opportunity to train the right candidate)
● A commitment to learning different ways of growing, sustainable food systems and strive to keep up with trends
● Ability to work well in a team, independently and without direct supervision
● Ability to effectively interact with diverse populations
● Work efficiently with attention to details and timeliness with comfort and ability to work in a fast paced work environment
●Be comfortable using a computer for data entry
Our ideal candidate is enthusiastic working with others, positive, and has passion for local and sustainable food systems.
Full-Time: 40 hours/week and up to 50-60 hours a week during the height of the summer growing season with a decreasing workload in the shoulder season.
Part-Time: 20 hours/week (Candidate will report to the Education Director)
F/T & P/T (at least one (1) weekend day monthly required) *will only consider applicants who can commit to include working weekends or a rotating weekend schedule.
$15.00 hour / wage commensurate with experience
Season runs from late March through mid-October with possibility to extend
Crossroads is an EOE and supports diversity in the workplace. Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
How to Apply:
To Apply: Please send a cover letter, resume, and 3 references to email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org