Sky High Farm
Position: Full-time Livestock Manager
Reports To: Farm Director
Compensation: $65,000-$85,000/year (based on experience)
Schedule: M-F, 40-45 hours per week
Location: Sky High Farm - Ancramdale, NY
Sky High Farm is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to equity, inclusion and diversity in our hiring and employment practices and strive to create an environment that is conducive to collaboration and respect for difference.
About the position:
This is a dynamic agricultural position at an integrated vegetable and animal farm. The Livestock Manager plays a key role in daily activities related to animal care and pasture management, including working with and supervising farm interns and apprentices assigned to assist with livestock-related tasks.
Sky High Farm is a nonprofit organization working to increase access to fresh, nutritious, locally produced food while investing in collaborative long-term solutions for food security. Sky High is committed to sustainable farming practices and direct donation of 100% of food produced on the farm. Sky High reaches beyond conventional philanthropy, collaborating with a diverse and inspiring network of fashion brands, artists, and designers to generate resources that sustain our work locally and cultivate awareness around food justice and sustainability worldwide.
- Support all practices and steps for Sky High’s regenerative grazing-based pasture program.
- Work closely with the Farm Director and Farm Staff to execute daily tasks including:
- Daily chores for all livestock
- Management of feed and feed sourcing
- Pasture management, including moving sheep fencing and rotation of cows and sheep through pasture.
- Support animal health and welfare with intentional observation, reporting, and practices that prioritize their quality of life
- Support necessary record keeping
- Support needed repair and maintenance of animal infrastructure
- Establish a slaughter schedule and coordinate livestock transport and cold storage of meat
At the discretion of the Farm Director, this position may also be asked to assist with activities associated with vegetable production, including:
- Propagation and plant production in the greenhouse
- Direct sow, transplant and manage field crops
- Support implementation of season extension strategies
- Harvest, process, and post harvest handle to pick-up our crops for food access partners
- Learn and run irrigation system and support exploration of rainwater catchment and other sustainable systems
Skills and Expertise:
- Commitment to Sky High’s mission and regenerative farming principles
- Experience handling livestock, including cattle, sheep, goats, pigs and chickens
- Experience with animal husbandry
- Experience supervising staff
- Detail-oriented and capable of working independently and with a team
- Ability to manage staff and delegate responsibility
- Experience operating farm equipment, such as a tractor and ATV
- Licensed to operate a motor vehicle and experience driving a pick-up truck
- Readiness to work outdoors performing physical labor safely in all types of weather, including rain and snow
- Readiness to perform tasks that include barn maintenance and cleaning, the movement of feed and hay, and tasks directly related to livestock management
Ability to lift heavy items (e.g. up to and possibly over 50 lbs)
Additional Experience (preferred):
- This position will be required to submit descriptive written reports to the Farm Director detailing work progress, including successes and challenges
- The Livestock Manager will work with the Farm Director to draft an annual plan of work to be approved by the COO or Director
- The Livestock Manager may be required to assist the Farm Director with budgeting and budget management as it relates animal care, relevant supplies, feed, fencing and animal health (e.g., interfacing with animal veterinarians, as needed)
Teamwork is paramount. All Sky High staff are required to participate in routine team meetings, performance reviews, safety trainings and internal policy reviews.
A minimum of 3-5 years working with livestock
Experience operating farm equipment
Valid US Driver’s License
Eligibility to work in the US
This job description synthesizes key responsibilities but does not necessarily capture all applicable job duties. As with the nature of farm work, adaptability is essential; Sky High’s priorities involve the production of food for food insecure New Yorkers, as such, the shifting of resources may require temporarily refocusing efforts in one area of the farm to achieve that mission.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should send their resume, cover letter, and references to: email@example.com. No phone calls please.