Education and Technical Assistance
NOFA-NY offers educational programs and technical assistance throughout the year. We cover a wide range of topics: vegetable and fruit production, dairy and livestock management, transitioning to organic methods, farm business and marketing techniques, and related areas such as value-added processing. Our educational programming includes conferences, on-farm field days, educational videos, and other online tools and resources. Technical assistance for farmers is available at 1.855.2.NOFA-NY (1.855.266.3269) or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Winter Conference: Our largest event is our annual Organic Farming & Gardening Conference, held each January. One of the largest conferences in the region, our winter conference hosts more than 100 educational workshops across a variety of tracks. With a concurrent trade show, NOFA-NY’s winter conference provides opportunities for learning and networking for farmers, gardeners, and agribusiness professionals.
- On-Farm Field Days: Recognizing the value of on-farm education, NOFA-NY coordinates an annual field day series across New York State. Field days typically take place between May and October and cover a wide range of farming practices and skills. Field days are free for all NOFA-NY members. Learn more here.
- Improved Pasture Management Project: Through the support of the New York Farm Viability Project, NOFA-NY is currently offering a program to provide technical assistance and networking for organic and conventional dairy producers. Learn more here.
Our certification branch, NOFA-NY Certified Organic, LLC, has been accredited by the USDA National Organic Program since 2002. We operate the largest organic certification agency in New York State and certify in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic region. In 2015, a 100% grass fed certification also became available to certified organic operations. We take pride in providing quality third-party verification and great customer service, while maintaining the highest level of organic integrity. Learn more here.
NOFA-NY advocates for a sustainable, local, organic food and farm system within New York State and beyond. We care about issues impacting the health and wellbeing of our farmers, our communities, our animals, and our environment. We’re all in this together – check out our New York Organic Action Plan Infographic for ways you can support the organic movement. Visit our Take Action page for more information on our current areas of focus, and become a member to vote on NOFA-NY’s policy positions.
NOFA-NY offers print publications and online resources to keep consumers and farmers up to date on the latest news in organic and sustainable food and farming. Sign up for our eNews and follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Become a member to receive additional benefits.
NOFA-NY cross promotes our members’ products and services through publications, social media platforms, conferences and trade shows. We offer a Farmer’s PledgeTM program to help consumers to identify farmers that are using sustainable growing practices, but are not certified organic. If you are a farmer who would like to apply to the Farmer’s Pledge program, click here.
- Conferences: We refund NOFA-NY conference registration fees for cancellation requests received up to 14 days before the event. Cancellations will be charged a $30 processing fee. No refunds are given for requests received less than 14 days prior to the first day of the event.
- On-Farm Field Days: Field days are free for all NOFA-NY members. For all other attendees, cancellations will be refunded in full up to seven days prior to the event, unless otherwise noted. All field day events are held rain or shine.
- Returned Check Policy: All returned checks will be charged a $50 processing fee plus any bank-incurred fees for insufficient funds.